Thursday, February 22, 2007

I am a Volunteer. How about you??

I have just come back from volunteering at Singapore Boys’ Home (It is a hostel for boys under 16 years of age admitted by the Courts). It has been a long time since the last time I volunteered myself. Actually, since last semester, I always want to volunteer every Thursday. However, due to my packed schedule, I always have meeting on Thursdays till very late at night. After one of the events I organized finished, I can have more free time and it’s time for me to fulfill my plan since long time ago… Yeah! Singapore Boys’ Home… I am coming!

When I reached the hostel, the boys were having some recreational activities. Some of the boys performed some kind of magic tricks and a magician was invited to entertain them. He is a good magician. However, that’s not the thing amazed me the most. It’s the way he spoke to the boys. One of his sentences is “Among the magic I see tonight, the most magical thing I see is that you have the courage to stand here, to prepare your entertainment, and to be able present well. That’s really magical.” He really knew how to boost the boys’ self-esteem. And that’s really magical for me!

After that recreational activity, the boys had their study time, and we (NTU students who volunteer there) helped them with their study. I can still remember that when I was in their age, I found no difficulty doing Math, Science, and English. That’s why I felt so frustrated facing the fact that the boy I taught can’t understand very simple Math concept. I guess the boy felt my frustration and told me “Sorry, my Math is a bit slow.” That short sentence really slapped me in my face. It’s like I was reminded that some people need more time to understand a concept and I should be very patient with them. I answered him “Not a problem at all. Take your time...” That sentence was complimented with my sincerest smile, of course =)

I strongly believe that every boy (or every child in a more general term) in this world DESERVES a good education. That education not only comes from their school, but also from people around them. As a guy myself, I understand very well that… as a teen, a boy needs someone who LISTENS to them… who CARES for them… who believes in their potential. And that’s exactly why we volunteer. It’s not only about teaching Math, Science, or English. It’s about giving our heart to someone who needs it. It’s about doing our bit to the one who deserves it. It’s about giving back to society what we owe. It’s about making this world a little bit friendlier.

And above everything… sincerity is the most important thing. I believe that this world needs more ordinary person like you and me… who has a sincere heart and a courage to make a difference to other people’s lives.

Let’s volunteer!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

try to volunteer for bp mentoring perhaps? remember those days and it's quite fun.

Ben said...

i agree with u, fun is something important. However, when i choose where to volunteer, i ask myself "how much contribution can i make.."

Boys at Singapore' Boys Home are not like any other boys at other school. That makes me convinced that i can contribute something..

Anonymous said...

in SMU, doing community service project is mandatory. 80-hour attachment. Ha ha ha.