Friday, August 03, 2007

233 in 4 weeks. I am the Top Sales.

If you think this post is going to be a post about a young man's ambition or dream, i assure you that it won't. It is about real result, and I wish to remind first, sorry for being arrogant, but I am that good.

I have been enjoying a lot of different job during my university days. I ever experience how to be a waiter. It teaches me how to be patient and humble. It teaches me customer service. I personally believe that everyone who want to be in any job dealing with customers directly or indirectly (which means, almost every job, if not all), should try this job. You will learn more than by reading book about customer service. Even Britney Spears thought that this job is sexy, why don't you try it? :)

I did an attachment in Philips Electronics Singapore, assigned as an assistant engineer and researcher. I had a great time and I did apply some engineering knowledge in my job (that's the purpose of this attachment, although most principles are just common sense).

This holiday, I planned to try out something new. I was a bit confused at the beginning, but after some thinking, I realized 1 thing. I have always been good in dealing with people, why not try sales? Finally, I applied for a job in sales.

As one of the youngest and least experienced, I started the job with almost nothing but an ambition, a HUGE one. I didn't want to make this job as just another summer job. I wanted to give my best and I set a goal to be the top sales. Three of my colleagues have years of experience in sales. Seven of them have previous sales experience. Two of them are natural conversationalists who can talk to anyone in the street. Six of them are women, who are better salesmen than men, at least according to Marion Luna Brem in "Women make the best salesmen". I am a mechanical engineering student. We don't talk to people, we talk to machines and textbooks.

At the first day of my job, I didn't make even 1 sale. In the second day, I closed 1 sale, not too bad. However, if my goal is to become a top sales, I should do something. I observed more experienced colleagues closely. I went to library read some sales books. The result? I make 4 sales in the 3rd day, 7 sales in the 4th day, and 9 sales in the 5th day, and surprisingly, I became the top sales in that company in the first week I joined that company, outperformed all my colleagues, including all my seniors.

I continued to perform and I get better everyday. I read every book in sales I could find. I continued to improve myself everyday. In life, if you are not improving, you are done. I became top sales in my company every single week. And with no doubt, I become top sales for July 2007 in my company, selling over 230 in only 4 week. I outperformed every single one of my colleagues. Sorry for being arrogant, but result speaks louder than everything else combined.

I won't reach that success without my ambition. At first, we were told that we need to achieve at least 60 sales in 1 month. Most people are minimalists. They look at that number and start dividing them into 20 days a month, means, 3 sales a day. After they reach 3 sales, they start thinking whether they should have coffee or tea for their break. But for me, that's not the case. At the very beginning, I demanded a very high standard of myself. I triple the number from 60 to 180. I didn't look at the minimum, I like to challenge myself. Life without challenge is simply boring. And as a result, I not only triple the result, I almost achieve 4 times the minimum. I am a bit disappointed now. If I set 300 sales at the very beginning, most probably I will reach that number.

But anyway, I am the top sales. I worked harder than anyone else, and I deserved that title.
Maybe in future, I will write the second edition of Marion Luna Brem's book titled "Women make the best salesmen. I am a Man, so what??" :)

No comments: