Thursday, October 04, 2007

The most important thing.. of all.

The Apprentice is my favourite TV show. It teaches us a lot of business lessons and also life lessons.

I do agree business world is pretty scary, not for the faint-hearted, for sure. People said, in politics, there is no eternal friend or eternal enemy. I do think in business that statement also holds.

In The Apprentice, there are some very close friends who attacked each other in the board room, who blatantly lied just to get a step closer to win. That’s pretty sad I think. Although it’s written in the beginning of every episode that it’s nothing personal, it’s just about business. BUT, still. How you act in one event is how you act in every area in your life. This is of course a subjective statement, but I personally think so.

I truly love Rebecca, the runner-up of The Apprentice 4, for being so honest and has a sky-high level of integrity. She is smart (well, not as smart as Randal, the winner), persuasive (again, not the most persuasive among all) but nothing beats her principle towards the right thing. And If I were Donald Trump, I would definitely hire her TOO.

Sorry for being so naive, but I would just do what Rebecca did if I were in her position. Integrity and loyalty are on the top of my life’s values, and if I have to exchange those with success or fame, I definitely refuse to do that. Don’t get me wrong, I work extremely hard to get the success I deserve. Anyway...Who doesn’t want success, or fame, or money? Even if you are a priest or monk, if you are given a choice, to ride a bicycle or drive a car, I am pretty sure you will choose the later. This is a materialistic world, indeed. However, I believe one thing. Money or position or fame can make people admire you; your character will make people RESPECT you; and your kind heart will make people LOVE you. What’s more important in this world than being loved and respected? A lot of people work extremely hard to get love and respect aren’t they?

I... and my principles.

No comments: