Tuesday, January 15, 2008

2008 Resolutions. I know I am late =P

Inspired by some bloggers, I finally decided to write my own New Year Resolutions (it's already 14 Jan, and I guess I am a bit late. But that's okay)

1. STUDY
- Finish my study ON-TIME. I have to, otherwise SembCorp will terminate my scholarship, and I am not too rich (nor too generous) to pay them back a lump-sum $65,000.
- Get at least a second-upper honours (which means, at least A- for my FYP)

2. WORK
I haven't signed any job contract yet until now although the biggest bank in Singapore has already offered me a job. I will think through it carefully... I am usually a bold risk-taker, but I guess, any good investor would agree that investing a few months to think through a career choice is one of the wisest investments we could ever make.

3. SELF-IMPROVEMENT
I am probably going to enroll some distance-learning study. I am particularly interested in this journalism course. And no need to mention, studying Chinese has always been my goal since I was 16 years old. I ask this girl to teach me Mandarin, but she always said her Mandarin is not that good (If I can speak 1/2 as good as her, I will travel to Beijing without tour guide)

4. HEALTH
Have signed up for yoga course, and I think I am gonna love it. I don't care what exercise I must do, but I must weigh 68 kg before starting my first job, full stop.

5. SPIRITUAL
10 minutes of Bible reading a day will make all the difference I would probably need.

6. RELATIONSHIP
A girlfriend by graduation? Haha.. I am kidding.

7. FAMILY
Call my family more often.

8. TRAVEL
Hong Kong, Macau, Taipei, Shanghai and some other cities in southern China - 9 days 8 nights.
Bali, Lombok - 4 days 3 nights

9. PERSONAL
Able to handle stress better, become a better listener.

10. OTHERS (These are not really resolutions, more like wishes, thank you Daphne)
- Barack Obama for president (I am a big fan of Mr. Clinton, but not Mrs. Clinton)
- China to win 2008 Beijing Olympics (make Asians proud)
- Singapore to host 2010 Youth Olympics
- Roger Federer to step down as world number one please, after I don't know how many years
- and finally... Juventus to win the Italian League.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good resolutions, mate.

On a personal note and a Christian perspective, I'd advise against taking up yoga though. Yoga has Hindu spirituality mixed in that's in direct contradiction to Biblical teachings.

Shalom.

Anonymous said...

#2: i'd advise against joining dbs. anyway, u're a scholar, with ur results, u can apply for banks like citibank, scb, n even investment banks like goldman-sachs - i think there's more future there.

#3: great tht u r planning to continue ur studies :) n tht u wanna learn chinese too. having grown up in indo, in an international sch, i also didn't have the opportunity to study chinese - but that doesn't mean i don't seek improvement by myself :P good luck! (p/s: u shd learn from PRCs, esp the spoken)

#4: sicarii mentioned abt the clashing of hindu teachings with christianity in yoga, but i think that if u pursue it for health purposes only, it'll be fine. my 2cents.

#9: i also need to learn how to handle stress better.. :(

#10: these are more like wishes, than resolutions, right? :) anyway, i think china WILL win. haha.. n also, im kinda 50-50 abt obama n clinton. but they are the ones im supporting nonetheless.

Ben said...

Hi Sicarii...
Can you explain more how yoga not suitable with Biblical teaching.. I am curious..

Daphne,
Haha.. I havent signed the contract because of some of its terms and agreements, I would still apply some jobs to compare and asking around.. thanks for the recommendation ;)

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't been back -- lost my bookmarks in a crash and couldn't for the life of me remember how to get back, lol!

Daphne: there's no such thing as 'for health purposes' only. If it's solely for health purposes, another form of exercise will do better. Not yoga.

Ben:

'Yoga' means 'union,' the union of the finite 'jiva' (transitory self) with the infinite '...Brahman' (eternal Self). "Brahman" is a term often used for the Hindu concept of "God," or Ultimate Reality. It is an impersonal, divine substance that "pervades, envelops, and underlies everything."

Many yoga poses are designed to pay homage to Hindu gods though some might seem to be mere physical contortions.

Some people think that as long as they don't think about how the poses are linked to worship of such gods, that it's ok.

It's not.

First off, how do you know which poses are paying homage to the gods and which aren't? Secondly, because of the spiritual nature of yoga, you will not be aware of what you are exposing yourself to with regard to disobedience to God.

The emergent church movement in its ecumenical zeal promotes a form of yoga called 'Christian yoga'. There's no such thing, and I think it's an abomination to God, breaking the second commandment thoroughly.

I pray you give this due consideration.

Shalom.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, forgot to post you a link to read up on:

http://www.newswithviews.com/West/marsha30.htm