Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I turned down another job offer today... T_T

2 months ago I thought it's cool to say to an HR person..

"Thanks for the offer... but I am already employed."

However, Today... I learnt that: Turning down a job offer is not that easy. At least for me.



"Hi is that Benny?"

"Yes..."

"Hi Benny, this is xxxx from xxxx. I have received your E-mail regarding bla bla bla.."

"I see."

"Benny, I appreciate your reasons and I believe those reasons are very valid."

(Great, at least you read a book titled "How to Win Friends and Influence People")



.... "However, may I ask you first, what do you look in a career... If you look for money, you can go to Bank.. Investment Banking especially... However, I believe that in looking for a job, you can't look for the money factor alone.... We have world-class training programme bla bla bla and in fact, in the job, you are like given a scholarship. You get paid by learning in the job given..."

WAIT!
Don't get me wrong. I don't look for money alone. NEVER!


I look for money PLUS benefits PLUS stock-options PLUS full-paid overseas holidays to Paris and Dubai PLUS car PLUS bonus of 6-month salary PLUS 1-month annual leave PLUS...


I think it's absolutely cliche.

Hypocrite.

Politician-type-of answer.



MONEY is not everything. BUT It DOES save you from lots of trouble.

When we have enough money (what I mean by "enough" is "a lot"), we don't need to waste time thinking about our bills, our debts, and other money-related-matters. We can focus more to other more important stuffs... going to Paris for example.

We can help earthquake victims in Sichuan without thinking "Gosh, it costs me quite a bit of my saving. I am afraid I couldn't make the end meet this month" You don't need to!

When you have money, you will never think how to cheat on your tax.. You don't need to pretend to be a student when you are already in your 30s and wish to pay Student's rate.



And this HR person.. graduated from the best university in Indonesia told me... "We can't offer you that much money.. but we can offer you very good training and career progression.."

LET ME ASK YA. WHICH COMPANY DOESN'T ????

NONE!

Which company says... you will be stagnant if you join us. You will do the same things everyday and you will not learn anything except how to pretend to be busy by making your desk very untidy?

NONE!



So, everything else being equal, the dollar makes the difference. BIG.. BIG.. BIG difference.



Everyone who knows me well will understand that I am very blunt, and I hide almost nothing. Here I am.

I want to earn my first hard-earned million before I am 28, and if that means, I have to work 7 days a week, 18 hours a day, 364 days a year, Here I am.

If that means I have to remain girlfriend-less till I start to get wrinkles in my face, Here I am.

If that means I need to drink 5 cups of coffee everyday, Here I am.

If that means I could only sleep with handphone beside my ear, Here I am.




Because I know...

I do it not only for myself.

I do it for my family.
I do it for my Lord, Jesus Christ.
I do it for poor people in Indonesia.
I do it for mentally-retarded people in Singapore and Japan.
I do it for homeless people in Sichuan.
I do it for poorly-educated children in India and Pakistan.
I do it for hungry people in Africa.
I do it for drug-addicted teenagers in US and England.


And at the end of the day, even when I get sick because I am too tired, I know, I am doing it for a good cause. And it's worth it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Silly!

What's the point of having lots of money, but your family can't enjoy and even meet you in person?

You mentioned Lord Jesus there. If I'm not wrong, Lord Jesus is a person who wants me to be prosperous and healthy at the same time. Not only bodily healthy, but mentally and socially as well.

Well, that's my opinion.