Sunday, August 31, 2008

Life of A Young Banker


Some of my blog readers asked me, how is the work of a banker?

1. I wake up at 9, have an enjoyable breakfast at McDonald while reading newspaper.
2. I knock-off at 5 with the last hour of work spent gossiping with colleagues.
3. There are some parties and high-tea on the company's budget.
4. The company not only allows MSN usage, it encourages it because it's good for employee's mental health.

I WISH.

The fact is...
1. I wake up at 6.45, reach home sometimes by 12 midnight.
2. I don't have time to sit down and have my breakfast. I walk while munching my bread.
3. Sometimes I even don't have time to eat lunch... I just grab some snacks like fruit or milo.

SAD huh?


Well, everything has a price. For everything else, we have UOB Platinum card. Joking... :)


I know in this job, I have to maintain a super high level of energy... super positive and cheerful attitude. Whether I sleep 7 hours or 3 hours the night before, I have to look as if I get enough sleep the night before and have just got spa treatment. Easy? You bet.

The less sleep I get the night before, the more I need to eat the right stuff. My tips:

Breakfast: fruit juice and banana and 1 can of Red Bull if I sleep less than 5 hours
Lunch: Apple / strawberry and wholemeal sandwich (think of Subway)
Snack: yogurt and coffee
Dinner: milk and some dessert


In the past, I eat healthy stuffs because I want to. Now, I eat the right stuffs because I need to. The same rule applies for hitting the gym and facial regime I do every night. I also try to jog 2 or 3 times a week around my block.


I tell you a secret, I can put a tie properly only a few days ago because of this job. I am actually a T-shirt/polo and jeans kind of person. Now you will see me dress very smart in shirt, tie, jacket.. with polished pointed shoes... yes, with specs and carrying a briefcase.

It's amazing to see how I change to a completely different person. More polished in appearance and words.


However, I am still the person that you know last time... A very straightforward single who will never be popular among girls because if a girl asks him "Does this dress make me fat?", He will answer "Honestly, it's not the dress that makes you fat. It's the cake, chocolate, and the Geylang lorong 9 Beef Kway Tiao." Understand why I am still single?

Time can change a person. It really can.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wooo.. finally posted

post your picture lah.. let us see how different you look now.

your jobscope deals with what?

Anonymous said...

Seems banking is Asia is soft.

Banking in Toronto involves:

1. Wake up at 6:15am.
2. Grab a bagel and Tim Horton's on the way to work for about 7:30am.
3. Check and respond to e-mails until about 8:30am.
4. Start into the next pitch book, slide deck, or analysis.
5. Finish around 11pm - 2:00am.
6. Head out to the bar to unwind with colleagues.
7. Arrive home around 4:00am.
8. Sleep 2 hours.

Repeat.

Then again, the pay in North America is significantly higher than Asia. Talk about burnout though. Retire from banking in 2-3 years if you want to stay sane.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.