Wednesday, December 24, 2008

An Afternoon with Bubble Tea Auntie

I am every auntie's favourite, I know that long time ago. Why? Because I LOVE to listen to stories. I think everyone is unique in their own way, and they have stories to tell.

One of my die-hard fans is the bubble tea auntie near my house. I know EVERYTHING (well, a lot of things at least) about her, from her family (her husband, daughter etc etc), to her business, to her past-time favourite and beyond. Everytime I buy bubble tea, she will stop making the pearls and sit down with me on the table in front of her beautiful bubble tea stall, and starts talking with me. This afternoon, she told me about her neighbour who had just died and asked me whether I want to buy a house and she even told me the advantage of buying a house compared to renting a room (well, I am a banker and I know that in my fingertips).

Then she told me about doing business in Singapore, and how someone can make money and the others can't. Again, I know this topic like, very well. However, it's so interesting to know other people's point of view and probably learn one thing or two.


It's not that my life is so boring that I need to be in the listening side everytime I have a conversation with someone. Given enough time, you can write a book about my life. However, I just love listening to people and people like to talk to me because I listen to them, not like most of the people I know...

"Wow that's great!!! Btw, you won't believe what I experienced. Let me tell you my story...."

And yes, they steal the showlight.



I am a born introvert and people who know me well will understand that I prefer to stay in my room reading a good book than to go out partying. I am good in talking, but better in listening. I like to do public speaking, but if I were to choose, I love writing more.

And if I think about it, everytime I listen to people, my horizon expands, I know more things, and yes, get wiser and wiser everyday.

No comments: