Thursday, January 08, 2009

An Evening at The Daily Mass

As I was about to stand to read the bible at the church, I looked at the churchgoers. It was my first time becoming a lector (person who reads the bible, hymn, and the Alleluia). I have done lots of public speaking in the past, so I was not too nervous (of course, the nervous feeling was still there). I prayed to God to give me a calm heart, so my voice later won't shake too much. So that even if I feel nervous, people won't be able to see it.


Then I heard God said to me.

"Ben, thanks so much for volunteering your time. I am very proud of you, but remember, this is MY "show", not YOURS."

Ouch.


What was I thinking? I only thought of doing well in the bible reading, so I could speak clearly and ultimately, WOWed the people with my perfect English. Is that even important at all? This is a mass, and at mass, God's name is glorified, not my name.


As I stood, I prayed to God again, but this time was different. "God, I prayed so that Your words I am going to read can touch people's hearts and lives."


I was still nervous and my hands were shaking, but I know in my heart, I have done my best and I am sure God knows it.

Anyways, this is the bible passage I read.

A reading from the first letter of St John

We are to love,
because God loved us first.
Anyone who says, ‘I love God’,
and hates his brother,
is a liar,
since a man who does not love the brother that he can see
cannot love God, whom he has never seen.
So this is the commandment that he has given us,
that anyone who loves God must also love his brother.

Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ
has been begotten by God:
and whoever loses the Father that begot him
loves the child whom he begets.
We can be sure that we love God’s children
if we love God himself and do what he has commanded us;
this is what loving God is –
keeping his commandments;
and his commandments are not difficult,
because anyone who has been begotten by God
has already overcome the world;
this is the victory over the world –
our faith.

The word of the Lord.





God loves you, and me, and them.

2 comments:

Eming said...

ehem,,, do i read "perfect english" lol.. =)

Ben said...

yes, u just did =P