Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Being Your Best

My roommate and I had a conversation last night. We discussed which one is better: being excellent in one or two things or being reasonably good in lots of different things. We got different opinion with that matter.

I think life is so competitive that we just can't afford to be just good, not to mention to be average. Wanna have a proof?

In male tennis, current world number 1 is Novak Djokovic. He has accumulated career prize money of some USD 35 million. That doesn't include his endorsement money etc which is way more that that. World number 100? Joao Souza with USD 458,000, that's around 76 times less compared to Djokovic.


Assuming that there are 100,000 people playing tennis in the world (I think there're more), both Djokovic and Souza are in the top 0.1%. Any statistician will tell you, top 1% in any industry is considered very good and the top 0.1% is beyond compare. But why is there such a distinct difference in terms of income?

My point? Being just very good sucks. You gotta be excellent, you gotta be the best in something. People pay top dollars to watch Djokovic. Why? because he's good? No way! Because he's the best.

I rest my case.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice, be your best!